Hall 1974 built by the Hoyland family of Brierley about 1730 who lived
there until 1911. The present hall was rebuilt about 1840 and has brick
interior walls faced by stone.
||Brierley Hall fire 2009
||Brierley Hall 2014 the hall could be due to be converted into modern apartments so thing may get better
|Grimethorpe Hall 1974, built for Robert Seaton of Arksey about 1669.
Hall 2014 The hall looks very abandoned. The Sash windows and the English bond brick facing
were added in the mid 1800s these bricks could encase the original sandstone
walls. The bricks high up round the chimney were added early in the 1900s
north side. This may be the original look of the hall. It was bought by
Richard Crooks a surgeon from Barnsley in 1839.
On the third of December, 1666, John Holgate of Grimethorpe married Helen Seaton, introducing the Seaton family to the village. In January of 1669, Robert Seaton married Theodicia Adwick of Arksey and built Grimethorpe Hall as their home (1). It is one of the earliest classical buildings in the area. The north wall is all stone and the doorway has a segmental head; the rest of the building being of combined brick and stone with tall pilasters framing the south door. The ceiling of the entrance hall is supported by three stout Doric columns.
Theodicia died March 1713 and was interred at
Arksey church, Robert Seaton died in East Hardwick 23rd.
1716 aged 78. In 1770 Richard Seaton, the son of Robert Seaton, died,
aged 83, and Grimethorpe Hall passed to a Mr Bayldon of York. (2) Following
the hall passed by will to Richard P. Strangeways of Dunnington. In
widow, Sibyl Strangeways, sold Grimethorpe Hall to Richard Crookes, a
and Apothecary in Barnsley.
Richard Crookes is listed as a Barnsley Surgeon in a north of England trade directory dated 1816 and in Pigots 1828 directory of Yorkshire where his address is given as Church Street Barnsley. There was a clearance of older properties in Barnsley to make room for the technical college and town hall in the 1930s. Richard Crookes family properties could have gone at that time.
Grimethorpe Hall had an estate of 131 acres in Grimethorpe, the land lying between the hall and Ferry Moor. Richard Crookes was away from home on the date of the census 6th. June 1841. His household consisted of these servants: George Hillingworth (Illingworth) 20, John Heppinstall 15, Mary Heppinstall 15, Sarah Hawksworth 25, and Jane Wilkinson 20. With John Wood a farmer 35, Joseph North a farm labourer 30, Eliza North his wife 30, children Alfred aged 2, Sarah aged 6 months. (4)
Richard Crookes had moved to live with his brother William and wife Mary at Montague Place, Russell Square, London by 14th. March 1845 he died a few months later. (6)
A trust was set up to manage his estate with provision to maintain the buildings, Richard Crooks nephew John Farrer Crookes who was born in 1812 in Islington London was granted the use of Grimethorpe Hall and other parts of the estate (6) In 1881 John Farrer Crookes was living as a retired surgeon in Folkestone Kent with his family he died one year later. His son Richard John Crookes was born in London in 1855 (5).
The estate appears to have passed via James Frank Crookes the youngest son of John Farrer Crookes to his son Captain Arthur Dillon Farrer Crookes who was born in Grantham Lincolnshire 1890. He then sold Grimethorpe Hall to the Carleton Main Colliery Company about 1925 (7).
The Sash windows and the English bond brick facing were added in the mid 1800s these bricks could encase the original sandstone walls. The bricks high up round the chimney were added early in the 1900s
In recent years there have been two attempts to convert the hall into a restaurant. The latest was by Virginia Goyonechea of Shield Trading in 2004, the company had one of the workshop units on Springvale Road Grimethorpe but they had moved away by 2006.
The earlier spelling for Seaton was Seton and the first person I have found with this name is Ivo de Seton of what is now Seaton Hall just inland from Staithes on the Yorkshire coast north of Whitby. He held lands in the area at the time of King Henry 2nd. 1154 to 1189 and could be an ancestor of the Seaton’s of Grimethorpe Hall via Gervase Seaton the father of Robert Seaton. Gervase was a yeoman farmer of Blyth Nottinghamshire who died there in 1673.
In the period before 1066 an Anglo-Saxon or judging by his name a person of Scandinavian origin called Uhtred held Manors (lands) in Seaton (hall), Stainton, Moorsholm, KIlton Thorpe, Kilton, Brotton, Skelton, Guisborough, Hutton, Tockets, and Kirkleatham, his father is thought to have been Thorketill of Clevelend. Uhtred was the predecessor and most probably the ancestor of Ivo de Seton.
Owners of Grimethorpe Hall
Robert Seaton of Arksey & Grimethorpe 1669
Richard Seaton of Grimethorpe
William Ware of Aldby Park Yorks. to 1770
William Bayldon of Boothham York
Richard P. Strangways “ “
Sible Strangways “ “
Richard Crookes of Barnsley 1839
John Farrer Crookes of Islington London & Folkestone 1846 died 1882
Richard John Crookes of Folkestone 1882
James Frank Crookes ?
Arthur Dillon Farrer Crookes of Lincolnshire ? to c1925
Carleton Main Colliery Co c1925
National Coal Board 1948 to ?
Shield Trading, Virginia Goyonechea 2004 to present
Tenants; these dates are taken from local trade directories.
John Wood named in a Directory dated 1838
John Wood, Chistopher Hawsworth & John Goody, on a deed dated 1839
Johnathon & Elizabeth Wood aged 40 with 4 Children
and one labourer John Goody named on the 1841 census
John Wood named on the 1841 Tithe AwardG
George Horn named in a Directory dated 1852
Leigh Bros. c1904 to 1921
Henry Lindley c1922 to 1927
Thompson then the Thompson family from c1936
(1) The history of Brierley and Grimethrope. W. Bretton
(2) A 1839 deed copy
(4) 1841 census
(5) 1881 census
(6) Richard Crookes will
(7) internet search results